Trump Campaign Website Defaced, FBI Alerted

Trump Campaign Website Defaced, FBI Alerted

The presidential election campaign of Donald Trump says its official website was defaced earlier on Tuesday and that it is working with law enforcement to investigate the source of the attack.

A Trump campaign spokesman said that no sensitive data was at risk.

“Earlier this evening, the Trump campaign website was defaced and we are working with law enforcement authorities to investigate the source of the attack,” spokesman Tim Murtaugh said. “There was no exposure to sensitive data because none of it is actually stored on the site. The website has been restored.”

The FBI declined to comment.

The Trump website seemed to be fully functional Tuesday. Screenshots circulating online appeared to show that the site had briefly displayed a bogus message spoofing a law enforcement announcement.

The message then sought cryptocurrency donations from visitors in exchange for access to purported “internal and secret conversations” from Trump’s family and associates.

The hackers provided no evidence to back their statements.

It is unknown who caused the defacement, or if the Trump website was fully hacked, with data of any kind actually stolen.

Past boasts by hackers to have inside access to Trump-related correspondence – notably by a group that claimed to have penetrated an entertainment law firm earlier this year – have come to nothing.

Bloomberg News also contributed to this article.

© 2020 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.